Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Book Club

I'm currently reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez's classic novel Cien Años de Soledad (One Hundred Years of Solitude). The book tells the story of seven generations of the Buendía family, a clan facing the realistic vicissitudes of historic Latin American life accompanied by an underlying magical mysticism. Throughout the course of the novel, the Buendías suffer revolutions, rapes, plagues, incest, suicides, and a whole host of other family-friendly occurrences while also encountering clairvoyancy, alchemy, and immortality.

I brought a Spanish copy of the novel with me, making it a goal to get through all 471 pages while in Costa Rica. After all, Cien Años is more or less the quintessential Latin American novel. Right now I'm on page 211. I encourage you all to find a copy in whichever language you choose and dive in!

No comments:

Post a Comment