Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Hungry, Hungry Hippo

I like to eat, and well too. While I've been enjoying the cuisine here for the most part, there are some regular American foods I miss because (a) they're too expensive to enjoy or (b) they're just not eaten by the locals.

Top 5 Foods I Miss:

5. Lettuce

Allegedly unsafe to eat unless it's been cleaned extremely well.

4. Milk

Not sold by the gallon here, but in smaller cartons. Usually only used in coffee, but occasionally in cooking too. Not often for drinking.

3. Apples

Available at supermarkets, but at about twice the price as in the States. Better to get bananas at about 18 cents a pound.

2. Cheese

Cheese exists...but it's not good. You can get generic American slices, but most of what exists at reasonable prices are a bland mozzarella/Swiss ick. I pine for a hunk of colby jack.

1. Peanut Butter

At a little over $4 for an 18 oz jar, peanut butter is best savored sparingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment