Thursday, January 7, 2010

Everything Is Slightly Ridiculous

My day is currently entering its 19th hour. After a 4:00 am alarm and an hour-long drive through subzero temperatures, I arrived to the airport two hours early. The flights went well, nothing was delayed too long, and I arrived at San Jose at about 2:30 this afternoon. The flight would have gone even better if I could have ordered a margarita while listening to steel drum bands on my iPod as we passed over the Caribbean. Alas, the plane was subject to US laws, not Costa Rican.

Exiting the airport, I stepped into the sunny, 70 degree weather. Then things got crazy. A few highlights of my day:

1) Traffic. New York plus LA times ten. With motorcycles buzzing around between lanes, buses and cars constantly cutting one another off, and no one observing the speed limit, I was shocked I did not bear witness to a single death. I am terrified to go anywhere.
2) Spanish. I think I've made up more words than I've used correctly. But I managed to have an hour-long political discussion with my host mom Nina over dinner. Apparently, some people here think 9/11 was a government conspiracy targeting Latinos? Strange.
3) Toilet Paper. The pipes are too thin. It is placed in the trash can next to the toilet.

4) Burger King. Everywhere. Refer to #3.



5) Mountains.


Orientation and a tour of San Jose tomorrow. I'll post again soon with pics from my room.

Pura vida,
Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment