Monday, February 15, 2010

Fix Or Repair Daily

Over the last few weeks, I noticed that there were an inordinate number of Nissans, Mitsubishis and Toyotas and other Asian models driving on the potholed streets of San Jose. Last week I did a small experiment and counted the number of American-made cars. My survey lasted about forty minutes and covered the time I spent waiting for the bus on a busy street leading out of el centro and the bus ride itself.

The results: of the hundreds of vehicles I saw, only 12 were American-made. More than half of these were Geos. A few possible explanations as to why they are so seemingly unpopular here:

1) They are too expensive to import here
2) They have terrible fuel economies (Costa Rica IS one of the greenest countries in the world...)
3) They are unnecessarily large for the narrow streets here

No comments:

Post a Comment